- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red and blue paste food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon each cherry, raspberry and lemon extract
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and oil, beating well. In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Gradually beat into creamed mixture, adding flour if needed, until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough into 3 portions.
Add red food coloring and cherry extract to one portion.
Add blue food coloring and raspberry extract to second portion.
Add lemon extract to third and untinted portion.
- Shape each portion into a 25cm-long block. Place red, white and blue logs side-by-side. Lightly press blocks together. Wrap and refrigerate until firm approximately 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1cm slices. Place 3cm apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. To create ridges, lightly press cookies with a fork. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on the pans for 2 minutes before moving the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from www.tasteofhome.com